Media investment management sits at the very heart of our business; it is our heritage and is in our blood! It is however also the most rapidly changing area of our business and the ability to adapt and exploit all new opportunities on behalf of our clients is critical. As agency models transition from providing clients services and outputs to solutions and outcomes, the role of our Investment leadership position will be critical. As our business finishes (not starts) its transition to being heavily digital in nature, what this role delivers must be future forward in how cutting edge the thinking is when it comes to digital media.
What are we asking you to do:-
- To leverage the scale of GroupM and the strength of Mindshare’s talent to provide Mindshare’s current and future clients a clear and measurable market advantage. This will include building senior relationships within key client organisations.
- To lead the way on what media investment management means in Asia and in a digital and biddable landscape, and set the benchmark for market leading thinking in this space. We want you to be the market thought leader that pulls not just the agency but the industry forward.
- To scale the thinking and opportunity of Good Growth and Intentional Investment in a relevant way for the region and the nuances of each market within it.
- To enhance local market investment strategy development and support their successful delivery of investment KPI’s.
- To maximize Mindshare’s commercial potential through the delivery of client performance related incentives.
- Be Mindshare’s key point of communication and collaboration between Mindshare global/regional investment and local GroupM investment teams, ensuring Mindshare is a valuable contributor in all related initiatives and in parallel Mindshare pushes for benefits in line with its leadership share.
- To build and inspire the Mindshare investment community through communication and sharing, development of best practices and collaboration on identifying and scaling innovation.
This role is not for the faint of heart or spine! It brings together our accountability to clients, the scale of Mindshare and an exciting array of products across existing & emerging mediums. This role will continue to shape the Mindshare Investment product going forward. It offers the opportunity to bring cutting edge investment products to our highly admired and discerning clients.
You will be uniquely positioned, in charge of the biggest single point of client media demand in APAC. Gaining privileged exposure to the huge variety of requirements, expectations and concerns they have, but also to the amazing opportunities that publishers, platforms and technology in APAC can offer them.
Why You Should be Excited
Simply put we are asking you to own and drive the most important delivery agenda we have as an agency – how to unlock disproportionate value in challenging marketplaces for our clients that keep us ahead of the pack. It is not an over statement to say that your role and your team’s success are table stakes to any development we want to pursue on our clients. If you don’t succeed then we don’t succeed and yes that brings with it pressure but when you do succeed it can define the agency. And for the largest agency in the most vibrant region in the world.
Measures of Success
3 months : Visibility and Context
- Working Mindshare global Investment team and APAC client leads understand the current and historical investment profile and requirements of all key regional clients.
- Including pricing commitments, auditing timelines, commercial risk if any.
- Covering both traditional and digital commitments also looking beyond price to quality, performance and additional value requirements.
- Understand roles and responsibilities of regional investment team and ensuring that each member of your team have clear KPIs and deliverables that ladder up to the business targets and the investment vision
- Conducted initial Investment reviews with top 5 markets, including:
- Mindshare Investment resource – talent / structure
- POV local GroupM CEO / Heads of Trading
- POV local Mindshare Office HeadAssess capability for evolved digital investment management and value creation
- Client competitiveness
- Commercial impact
- Understood and are aligned with existing local investment targets and associated strategies for delivery.
- Aligned with the market CEO on how you and your team will help the market moving forward and what your own impact will be
- Assesed overall investment strategy and tracking vs this
- Understood and are aligned with existing significant major Mindshare / GroupM regional initiatives:
- Usage and development strategies for Group products.
- Understanding of preferred suppliers (inventory and technology).
- Measurement and systems.
- Work with regional commercial / finance teams to understand Investment’s commercial impact by market and vertical.
- Engaged with the broader investment community across Mindshare and shared an ongoing cadence plan for inspiration and sharing
6 months : Process and Strategy
- Working with local markets and key client teams, develop clear aligned strategies across markets and clients to
- Ensuring that product development is aligned with Mindshare client requirements. Input market, client and regional requirements into product development pipeline in emerging fields of investment such as ecommerce, gaming, metaverse and OTT.
- Improve Preferred Supplier (inventory and technology) management
- Drive key regional value and investment initatives such as Programmatic First and SPO.
- Working with regional commercial / finance teams to improve forecasting.
- Ensure all media investment component of all new business pitches / defences are hyper competitive:
- Regional = +3 Markets
- Local = +US$10m
- All others = as a minimum utilise regionally created template story / value matrix.
- Including the approach to digital pricing competitiveness and commitments.
- Develop / design Mindshare APAC overarching Investment strategy to maintain Mindshare’s no.1 competitive positioning and working with GroupM to future proof and maximise advantage to our clients.
- Have developed relationship and key profile with Singapore based key regional/global vendor partners (e.g. Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, The Trade desk, Twitter etc.).
- Ideally also developed a profile with key industry bodies IAB etc.
- Establish positive relationship with key senior regional client, being perceived as key discipline specialist and advisor –
12 months : Control and Investment Results
- Effectively delivered the 2022 investment vision and strategy with clear measures of value and success. This would provide you with a clear blueprint to deveop what 2023 should focus on and what might be the 3 year plan for your role and the legacy you want to create.
- With GroupM have developed automation of base functions and data extraction to improve accuracy, visibility and control, whilst reduce time required for local teams.
- Have a regionally/globally renowned and Industry best in class regional investment team supporting high calibre local Mindshare Investment leads.
- Recognised as lead agency within Group M on digital investment management and innovation.
What You Will Need
We are looking for people from investment and digital backgrounds. Ideal candidates will have worked at senior levels in media and digital agencies, consulting agencies and digital technology/platforms.
We are looking for someone with a proven record of delivering – rigor, investment control, clear and compelling client media investment vision strategy and successful in driving internal behavioural change and client success:
- Strong Media Investment Experience (minimum 10-15 years media agency experience)
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, as maximising results through positive influence rather than authority will be key to this roles success.
- Digital investment experience, in particular on programmatic and performance and proven capability in the same.
- Understanding of digital media ecosystem, including platforms, publishers, technology and data providers.
- Excellent communication skills (English is a must due to international nature of the role)
- Impeccable attention to detail
- A positive, can do attitude and high-level client servicing ability
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with multiple teams and markets.
- A strong commercial understanding of the media business. Ideally with historical P&L responsibility
- A self-starter who is able to build their own work plan and deliver the key milestones of the work plan with independence.
Your regional team is a lean operation, with a small number of highly skilled individuals. This role is about establishing structure and skills to maximise the benefit to local teams and advantage for key clients, often exerting influence across teams vs. having a large group of direct reports.
We were born in Asia in 1997, a WPP start up with a desire to change the media world. Now we are a global network with 116 offices in 86 countries and billings of $16.5bn. We are the largest agency in GroupM, WPP’s Media Investment Management arm, which is the #1 media holding group globally with billings of $45.1bn (Source: COMvergence 2018). We aim to deliver Good Growth to our clients which focuses on sustainable and longer term approaches to building their brands and their performance.
What’s unique about our operation in Asia Pacific is that we are “crushingly number 1”. We are number 1 in most countries in the region. We are number 1 in the number of diverse skillsets that work with the company. We are number 1 in just about every awards league imagineable all thanks in major part to the work coming out of our region.
Visit us at www.mindshareworld.com and follow us on
Twitter @mindshare and facebook.com/mindshare and LinkedIn.com/company/mindshare.
GroupM Singapore operates in one of the most dynamic and exciting environments in the world. Although it is a small domestic market, there is a vibrant media industry which is undergoing rapid evolution as digital technology reshapes the way marketing supports advertisers’ needs. Being at the crossroads of Asia means, that aside from the local clients and media owners, we also have a high proportion of multi-national clients, renowned brands and media owners. Making GroupM Singapore the Number One organisation to join and develop your career in media investment.
GroupM is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.